Giorgio's School: The School took its name by the Dalmatian community
which became a corporation in 1451 with the patronage of saints George,
Jerom and Tryphon.
It was officially opened in 1451 and testifies the presence of the Dalmatian (Schiavoni) community: Venice always trades with Dalmatia during its history. This School would probably be anonymous now if Jerusalem's patriarch had not gave the S. George's relic to the commander of Venetian fleet in 1502. At the same time, Carpaccio, was charged to realize some paintings dedicated to the saints Agostino, Matteo and Giorgio: masterpieces where Carpaccio reached the perfection of its art.
School was closed as the other by Napoleon's edict.
Saint Mark's Basilica: beautiful Venetian church with 5 domes looks like the ancient church of Costantinopoli. It was embellished during the early centuries of the last millennium and particulary in the thirtheenth century when Venice dominated Mediterranean culture and economy.
The church, built to represent the power of Serenissima, is externally embellished with marble, mosaics and bas-relief: all maded with precious materials came from Bisanzio, Aquileia and Ravenna. Internally, the church has a Greek cross plan with domes substained by big columns.
But the most amazing fact of this church is that the architectural structure is perfectly hidden by the beauty of the mosaics...
Pietro's Basilica: This church was the cathedral of Venice 'till 1807,
when Saint Mark's Basilic became the religious centre of the city.
San Pietro was rebuilt on a previous building of the seventh century a.C. and dedicated to San Pietro by the bishop Magno. Original building, as appears nowadays, it's the result of a remake, partially completed, based on a project by Palladio.
Here, seignory used to come the eight of January to commemorate the end of the pestilence in 1630. In memory of all the episodes of plague that threw Venice and the entire Europe into confusion, also San Lorenzo implora l'aiuto divino per la liberazione di Venezia dalla peste del 1447 by Antonio Bellucci painted in the end of 1600.